Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Healthy Reward

     The other day I decided to clear the clutter accumulating on my VCR.  Among the many mysteries and suspense thrillers were programs equally thrilling (at least to me) about health and nutrition.  I decided to wax pragmatic and hone in on the nutritional  recipes and  diet suggestions.  I often  research  recipes that lesson sugar cravings,  clear up brain fog,  increase metabolism,  energize the body, strengthen immunity, etc.   I'm sure you get the picture.
      My golden rule is "Be Healthy Without Suffering".   In other words,  I require equal parts of healthy and tasty.  I adore recipes that replace decadent ingredients with  healthy ones.  Avocado is that kind of ingredient.  You can't  taste it but it makes a dessert or baked goods creamier, and adds healthy fat, fiber and vitamins.  You literally trick your body into getting healthier in a very painless way.
     While plowing through what seemed like an unending sea of recordings on my TV,   a somewhat healthy and possibly tasty recipe piqued my interest. I immediately set about creating several variations of the  basic recipe.  I  tested all of them on my all too willing friends.
     Below is the  unanimously approved version for you to enjoy.  Simply put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth. You can eat it straight from the blender or refrigerate  for 1 hour which makes it creamier.  If it's too creamy add a teaspoon of almond milk. You can add some  dark chocolate shavings or fresh fruit for added bliss!  This recipe is totally vegan and very yummy!

                                                      Clean Chocolate Pudding
                                                      1 medium to large avocado
                                                      1/4 cup raw honey
                                                      1 1/2 cups coconut oil
                                                      1/4 cup cocoa powder
                                                      1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
                                                      1 pinch sea salt

     The above recipe makes two servings.  Each serving should be about a half a cup.  I approximate the calories to be 150.  Most of the calories come from the fat of the avocado.  Not to worry.  This is healthy fat your brain needs.  Did you know your brain is mostly fat?  It gives the expression "fathead"  a new meaning, ha  Finding this recipe was like looking for a needle in a haystack but it is really worth it.  It is a  healthy reward for my efforts  and now it is yours!  
Can you trick yourself into thinking that the above recipe is a good substitute for this decadent version?

                                                     Eat yourself healthy!
                         
Bottom Line:  You are what you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment